Brigade commander killed

Nguti, a locality in Kupe-Muanenguba, South West Region of Cameroon, has been under military siege since mid March, after an attack on its Brigade Command Post led to the death of the Gendarmerie Commander, Robert Guy Longsti Beline.

According to a report by Southern Cameroon Journal, Longsti Beline had only recently been transferred to Nguti with instructions from the Minister of Defence, Joseph Beti Assomo, to coward the Restoration Forces of Ambazonia, whom he said, continue to undermine the security of the country.

But the Brigade Commander met his waterloo before he could even begin work. Some unidentified gunmen, reported to be elements of the Ambazonia Restoration Army (ARA) launched a surprise attack on the post, killing the Commander and two of his subordinates.

When news of the demise of the Commander broke, in less than no time, Nguti was already teeming with an Amanda of troops combat ready to bring the perpetrators of the act to book.

But before the troops could arrive, the population had deserted the village for fear of a merciless crackdown.

Speaking to the Southern Cameroons Journal, by telephone on Friday, March 16, a source in Nguti said the place has practically been taken over by the troops.

“We fled into the forest for safety because we know what these gendarmerie officers can do after having witnessed what they did to us here when a pupil gendarme was killed. We don’t know when they will leave Nguti for some of us to return. Nguti now is owned by security forces. The few people you can find there are either very old persons or little children. Everybody is scared for his or her life,” our source stated.

Apart from the Brigade Commander and two of his elements who died in the gun battle, our source also stated that some civilians also paid the supreme price.

Meanwhile, another source told our reporter that when the security forces arrived Nguti, those who were caught trying to run into the forest were forced back into their houses and were asked to stay indoors.

It should be recalled that on Sunday, February 18, some unidentified gunmen had attacked Babensi I Mixed Control Post in Nguti and killed a student Gendarmerie Officer at the post, Degoume Jean Claude.

After the death of Jean Claude, troops invaded Nguti, arresting and beating up all those they met in the village.

Those who were arrested were forced to pay colossal sums of money to regain their freedoms. After the February 18 incident, relative calm returned to the area, until the March 13 incident once more plunged the community into chaos.


Leave a Reply