Schoolgirls’ abduction: Jonathan’s man attacks Buhari

…says your response to your son’s accident, schoolgirls’ abduction is different

By Sarafa Ibrahim

A former aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri has played down President Buhari’s comment about his administration in response to the abduction of students of Government Girls’ Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe state.

Buhari had during a visit to Dapchi on Wednesday rated his government’s response to the incident ahead that of previous government when schoolgirls from Chibok were abducted in 2014.

The minister of information Alh. Lai Mohammed had earlier confirmed abduction of 110 schoolgirls, who were taken away to unknown place by suspected Boko Haram members on February 19, 2018 – a similar incident in Chibok on April 14, 2014, that resulted to the abduction of 276 schoolgirls.

Buhari said on Wednesday that, “The federal government’s response to the unfortunate abduction of the schoolgirls is a clear departure from the insensitivity of the past administration which looked the other way while the Chibok girls were taken away in 2014 and held in captivity for over three years.”

Reacting to Buhari’s comment, Omokri faulted Buhari’s claim, saying that Jonathan-led administration was swift to convene an emergency security meeting three days after the Chibok incident.

He pointed out that Buhari failed to act in the same manner by cancelling FEC meeting that was supposed to hold.

The ex-President’s aide said the president’s response to his son’s accident was well different from that of the Dapchi schoolgirls’ abduction.

According to him, “While Buhari cancelled all engagements to rush to the hospital when his son, Yusuf, fell from a bike, Buhari looked the other way when Dapchi schoolgirls were kidnapped and went to a wedding ceremony in Kano.

“Between a president who calls an emergency meeting after Chibok and a president who cancelled an important meeting so he could attend an economic conference, who can be described as looking the other way?” he asked.

He continued, “When Yusuf Buhari had an accident, President Buhari cancelled all his engagements and headed straight to the hospital.

“When the Dapchi girls were kidnapped, the same President Buhari carried on as usual and went to Kano to go and dance and socialise at a society wedding!”

Omokri, however, faulted Buhari’s move to negotiate with the dreaded sect.

He said, “Who knows whether it was monies allegedly paid as ransom to Boko Haram or individuals freed by the government (in swap of the released Chibok girls) that were used to facilitate the kidnap of the Dapchi Girls and the recent killings of United Nations staff in Rann.”

The Jonathan’s man also condemned the concentration of Police personnel in guarding VIPs in the country, stressing that Buhari, in the face of incessant internal security threats, should consider deploying them to troubled spots in the country.

“Again, three weeks ago, Chief Mike Okiro, the head of the Police Service Commission, revealed that under President Muhammadu Buhari, 150,000 policemen are guarding ‘big men’ instead of performing core police duties.

“President Buhari’s son, Yusuf, alone had more guards guarding him than the guards attached to Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi at the time of the kidnapping, yet the president has the guts to say he handled Dapchi better than Jonathan handled Chibok.

“A serious president, who knows how vulnerable the Northeast is, would have sent these 150,000 policemen to guard schools in the Northeast rather than sending them out to guard APC big shots all over the country.”

Website

Leave a Reply

*